4.18.2007


Epcot Garden Festival

Living in Florida had its ups and downs. I don't know if I love being in a tourist city but I do know that I want to live it up while we are here. Otherwise if and when we leave I'll be doing the shoulda-coulda-woulda scheme in my head for the rest of my life. Having a 4 and 2 year old meant that this year we were going to get season passes to Disney. Passes are free for kids under three so we thought it would be the perfect time to get them so we would only be paying for Avery and I. (Kevin is still debating if he wants to get one because we usually go while he is at work, who knows if he'll get one, only time will tell. )

I was pleasantly surprised when Avery, Boston and I ventured to the Garden Festival at Epcot. I was expecting a sea of people hovered over every possible inch of the amusement park, but it really wasn't that crowded. Maybe its because they stretch the festival for over a month long, but it was definitely worth the risk of the park being swamped because we had a great time.

I had no idea they had so many things that kids could do. We decorated pots to put flowers in, made caterpillars and butterflies. They had all kinds of make-and-take projects for kids to do. Our favorite part of the festival was the Ladybug release and Minnie's Butterfly Garden. At the Lady bug release each child received a box of lady bugs and when you opened the box there were approximately 30 lady bugs in each one. ( Did you know you can by ladybugs at Home Depot to help your garden grow because they eat the bad bugs in your garden? I had no idea, I'm obviously not a gardener, but some day I would love to learn.)

The lady bugs were thirsty so they sprayed water all over every one's arms so the lady bugs would stay on your arms for a while and then you were supposed to release them into the gardens. Boston's favorite part was getting sprayed with water and he repeatedly kept going up to the "water sprayer man" to get dowsed with water.


Avery loved Minnie's Butterfly Garden . She would of stayed there all day if I let her. I thought it was so neat that they had a little house that had over 100 cocoons in all different stages of metamorphosis. Maybe I get excited about learning about simple things all over again because I have a daughter whose eyes light up when she learns something new like this but I will say, it makes me smile. We will definitely be back for seconds this month. I recommend it to anyone coming to Orlando before June 5th.

Avery's favorite butterfly

the cocoon house




4 comments:

Thompson Family said...

You have to get Avery the present I got for Ellie for her birthday! It's a butterfly house. I'll tell you more later.

Meadows Family said...

Hey...let's go to Epcot next week, Kendra would love that. It looks like the kids had a blast, that is for sure one of my favorite parks. We meant to go last week, but went to Magic Kingdom instead cause that's where Kendra wanted to go. Anyway...call me.

Ryan said...

Looks like they loved it. You should bring them to the butterfly garden on UF campus next time you come up to Gainesville. It's awesome! It was fun to hang out with Avery and Boston yesterday. They are such cool little kids.

Alegna said...

Amy your kids are sooooo cute!!!