5.18.2008

Relay For Life



Last year was our first year of Relay for Life (fund raiser for cancer). I think it is such a great opportunity to show my children the way cancer effects so many people. At this event people are on teams and each team rotates team members and you walk all night long and raise money for cancer. There are a lot of booths with fun things for the kids to do (notice Avery and Boston's pink, blue and orange hair) The whole track that you walk around is lit up with luminary candle bags that you decorate to remember the people who have passed away from cancer or survived it. It really is a wonderful event.
SO I thought I had this great idea- because I haven't had the baby I thought to myself, you know this would be a fun night to camp out with the kids and still participate in the walk like we did last year. Kevin thought I was crazy to want to camp out like this when I was pregnant this far along, but I thought, what the heck, why not? I know it's really not camping- but my kids are too young to know the difference between a real camp sight and a soccer field, they just like the idea of sleeping in a tent. So when we went to set up the tent that I thought was a 4 man tent turned out to be a 2 man tent- can you imagine Kevin, Pregnant me, Avery and Boston in this tent? We just laughed until it was time to sleep. Boston fell asleep at midnight and Avery was determined not to fall asleep and stayed out with the adults until 2:15 a.m. and when she woke up in the morning she told us that she never really fell asleep she was just resting for a little bit. I figure one night of craziness couldn't hurt them. I just knew that it was the last time we would be camping for a little while so I wanted to do it and I'm glad we did. I will say it was the most uncomfortable nights sleep I have ever had, but besides trying to fall asleep we did have a great time, with great friends, for a great cause. But.... No baby yet- i'll keep you posted.

11 comments:

Meadows Family said...

You are crazy, but I am not surprised you did that. It sounds like a ton of fun, I would have taken Kendra if she was here...she would have loved it...especially the tent part. Well I hope all is going good and you have that sweet baby soon. Please don't hesitate to call if you need anything at all. I am just around the corner (and have no extra children this week..YAH for me). Good luck!

Tori said...

You guys are so awesome. This sounds like so much fun! I can just picture all of you giggling all night long. :)

Melissa said...

I can't believe you did that. I am patiently waiting for the little one to arrive!

Kallas Family said...

You are crazy!! If that won't put in into labor I don't know what will. I can't even sleep in my own bed the last six weeks of pregnancy let alone the ground!! You are amazing. Good luck with the baby!! I can't wait to see him.

The Farrell Family said...

What a cool thing to do with your kids! And I think you are a total superstar for doing it when you are about to have a baby!

Haskins said...

That is so amazing!! I cant believe you are having your baby soon! I am so excited for you, good luck!

threegirlmom said...

Can't believe you did that with a few days left to go. You are amazing. Can't wait till he's here.
Love ya

Natalie said...

Good Luck with the Baby soon!!!

Amie said...

Morris,

I can't believe you slept in a tent nine months pregnant!! I love that you did that as a family. What good memories they will have from this. I can't wait to hear all about the new little one. Good Luck!!

Stephanie said...

You are brave camping out at 10 months. It looks like you had fun. Good Luck with the delievery!
Steph

Heather said...

That's it, I'm moving to FL! There are so many fun opportunities there, what a fun experience!!