5.21.2011

A fresh approach

This spring I decided I wanted to be apart of a local garden CSA. What is a CSA? It stands for Community Supported Agriculture. This concept, along with “slow food” was started to put the people and their food in close proximity…. not 2,000-6,000 miles from each other. The way it works is that the shareholders (what I was) and the farmer get together before the season begins and decide on what will be grown in the garden. Then we went to work! I along with 10 others, received a basket of produce every week once the harvesting began. It was an amazing opportunity to be a part of. So in February-May, every Saturday from 7-10am I was at the garden planting, weeding and harvesting our fruits and veggies for the week. They also had fresh eggs from their chickens I could purchase along with fresh baked bread. What a treat it was every week to get such fresh items for my family to munch on. I loved learning about Organic gardening and now feel I have the knowledge to try and start a few things on my own in my own yard. What a blessing it was to have fresh veggies in the home that I grew. I was amazed every week to see what had grown from the week before. Plants are truly amazing! I learned about so many varieties of lettuce and vegetables I had never tried. It was wonderful! Here are a few pictures of the vegetables we grew.

















Afer we had harvested the plants, they were washed and thrown into these buckets.
Aren't the beautiful!?



After washing and putting into buckets we made each shareholders basket so we could all have the same amount of veggies and fruits.
I truly felt like it was a work of art putting the baskets together.



1 comment:

cassiecasperson said...

Amy you are amazing. I love all the great things you find and do. You inspire me!!!